Alright, listen up. Chinese people know what to order here, white people usually don’t. The chef is proper Chinese. He doesn’t make Americanized Chinese food. If that’s what you got, then you probably ordered something on the menu that was Americanized just for your palate. Even our Chinese friends tell us that in terms of “authenticity”, it’s pretty good. Not mind-blowing, but consistently satisfying. I guess there’s a reason this place has been around for a number of years, and we go back every so often.
What do I usually order? Stuff like:
- The rice noodle soups (ask for extra chili) - don’t think its always on the menu, you might have to ask for it…
- The Mabo Tofu and Bok Choy - $16
- or their Shrimp dishes, Royal Shrimp with Walnuts is realllly good $16
- Szechuan or Basil Chicken - $12.75
(The holiday buffet, btw, is just average. Now THAT is what I’d call more of an Americanized Chinese thing. I really hate seeing french fries and salad with ranch dressing and stuff like that at a Chinese restaurant…)
The service is typical for efficiently-run Chinese restaurants in Charlotte. Bit pricier then most Chinese places— but the portions make up for it. Have never left here without a doggie bag (ie. lunch for tomorrow).
- # of times dined here: 10+
- Cost of Bill: $15-20 for 1person
- Food Rating: 8/10
- Service Rating: 8/10
7800 Rea Road Suite A Charlotte, NC 28277 http://www.jojochinabistro.net